Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Yosemite

I think the Loneliest Road is over-hyped. US 95 south out of Fallon, Nevada was, in my opinion, lonelier Fewer cars, less traffic. (See what I did there?) I spent much of the morning singing of Darcy Farrow, because this is where the Walker runs down to the Carson Valley Plain. Anyway once the lonely part was done, I got to take the Tioga Road into Yosemite, one of the highpoints, literally and figuratively, of the trip thus far. Stunning, stunning scenery and a beautiful day.Traffic there was, but not as bad as it could have been. Some of the backups were due to more of those unsung heros (and federal employees) who were clearing the road of rock slides so that we all could pass safely Thank you, federal employees.

I met up with Jana and Sean, two good friends from the NPS who work in Yosemite, then had dinner and stayed with them at their house in Mariposa, an hour-plus commute each way (on a good day.) Again, beautiful scenery, and a wonderful Miata drive, but I can only imagine what it must be like when the weather is less clement.

I did drop in to Best Studios, AKA the Ansel Adams Gallery. I thought back to 1966 when I arrived there on a bus to take part in Ansel's Yosemite Workshop. Overwhelming experience for me. Moreso than when I returned nine years later as a teaching assistant. Much had changed in the intervening years. One of Ansel's prints was hanging in Gerry Ford's Oval Office, Ansel's business manager was driving a Ferrari, and his prints were commanding real money. In 1966, I bought three signed prints as gifts for $7.50 each. (My mom was appalled that I spent so much.) Granted, they had been printed by Liliane DeCock, Ansel's assistant at the time, but they were approved and signed by himself. For the truly well-heeled, yesterday I saw a print of Moonrise, Hernandez priced at $52,000. (Mom would be pleased I didn't buy it.)

Today it's off to Monterey, my "final" destination. It's another beautiful day, albeit dry and dusty. Poor California. It needs watering.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the anecdotes about Best Studio. I've thought about your experience there from time to time, but knew very little about it. This filled in some of the details. And, it was simply good to hear that this great autobiographical spot was included on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got back to your old stomping grounds. Musta felt bone deep good. I saw Yosemite through my eyes instead of Ansel's for the first time with my son when I took him there on his college graduation trip 7 or 8 years ago. We were both overwhelmed. I more so than he. Kids are pretty hard to impress at that age. Did you see any Miatas in or about Yosemite? Did I win the contest? dd

    ReplyDelete