Monday, September 1, 2014

More and More Nevada

OK, it was lonely. It was lonely as Hell. Not that I think that Hell, if it exists, is lonely, far from it, but it was very lonely. It may not be the Loneliest Road in America, as the signs claim it to be, but US Route 50 in Nevada is way up there in the lonely road pantheon. Truth be told, however, it was a pretty popular road today. Lots of motorcycles, campers, and cars. I guess all the hype about its being lonely has created a counterproductive rush to experience the loneliness. But, as you can see, there's a lot of space in which to hide all the traffic.

I was again struck by the bravery of the people who crossed this wilderness before there were roads, where every gully, every hill, was an obstacle that had to be overcome. I can't imagine the perseverance that was needed all day, every day, for months or years. The Pony Express ran through this area. The last of the pre-technology communications methods. It lasted only 19 months, rendered obsolete by the telegraph. Of course, someone had to string those telegraph wires. Then, more recently, the people who planned and built the roads that I sped along so effortlessly. Yes, they had machines, but I'm sure it was no picnic.

I still have not seen any other west-bound Miatas. Tomorrow may be different, however, as I head into Yosemite by the Tioga Pass. I know that some Miata owners had talked about driving on the Tioga Road on their way to Monterey. One more night "on the road," staying with Sean and Jana before I arrive in Monterey for Miata's 25th anniversary celebration this coming weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Ah ha! Maybe all of the company you had on the road were people leaving Burning Man

    ReplyDelete