Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's Still There!

Fort Kearney State Historic Site
For those of you who were fortunate enough to experience my design presentation during one of the NPS Web classes, it's still there! The "it" in question is perhaps one of the best examples of uninviting design anywhere. My son Jon took a picture of this in 1999, knowing how much I loved dreadful design. I don't recall what the original medium was, but it has been updated as photo etch on aluminum. It is good to know that they did retain the all-caps and the full, wall-to-wall justification from 15 years ago. After all, preservation is what historical sites are all about. All that, plus the deadly-dull text. Alas.

In other news, I wimped out tonight and am staying in a nice motel. Last night, rather, this morning, the six gentlemen in the next campsite had a rather long and lengthy discussion about whether one of them was, in his remarks, disrespecting another's daughter and his unborn grandchild. Neither had a very deep bench in terms of invective. They were pretty limited to F you! No! F YOU, MF!! Amazingly, this exchange of ideas began about 2:30 a.m. and lasted until about 4:00, at which point, they all got into their pickups and departed, sans tents. I assume that they'll return today to retrieve them, but they had not done so before I left. So I felt I owed myself a silent night. Besides, Nebraska this evening is warm and humid and did not augur well for a good night's sleep.

Yesterday Bergy turned 70 (thousand miles.) So here we are, two septuagenarians hurtling together through the heartland. Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. This sign is a sublime example of monolithic aestheticism. I love this damn thing. It takes me back to the days of spotty, multi-generational photocopies of Site Bulletins made with scissors and tape, and Kroy lettering machines. Sorry, I misspoke. It takes me back to BEFORE those days.

    ReplyDelete