Friday, October 3, 2014

September Song

And the days dwindle down to a precious few....

Yesterday's storm brought a definite change in the weather. This return trip started out at 109 degrees in southern California Tonight is forecast to be 39 degrees in Springfield, Illinois. Me, I'd rather have the cooler weather, but a little moderation would be nice.

We visited Lincoln Home this afternoon. It was rainy, so outside time was less leisurely than I would have liked. My tour group numbered about 8 souls. It was an interesting presentation technique, I felt as if I was a baton in a relay race, handed off from one ranger to the next as we worked our way through the house. All-told, I think we were passed off four times by five rangers. It seemed as though each ranger might be fluent in only one room of the house. I'm sure that was not the case, but impressions can be lasting.

Tonight's accommodations are about as different as can be from last night's simple-but-genuine Wagon Wheel Motel. Tonight, I am staying at the Route 66 Hotel and Conference Center. Pretty seedy, and not very real-feeling, but I suppose I've been spoiled on this trip.

Tomorrow I leave The Mother Road and head east to Dayton, Ohio to visit Dayton Aviation NHS, another site I've never visited. After that, probably one more night somewhere in western Pennsylvania and then home. The rainy weather really impedes my wakefulness. With the top down, I guess I get more oxygen and can stay awake much better than with the top up. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment